I’ve been on a mission since I graduated physical therapy school and started working with people looking for pain relief and healing. Most people reach for the anti-inflammatory medication and/or ice to get that pain relief. And I don’t blame them because it works! However, they have found recently that even ice is bad to use in excess because it starts to slow/stop the natural inflammation needed for proper healing. And anti-inflammatories do the same thing, in addition to wrecking your stomach and ability to absorb nutrients you need to heal and function! For a while I was telling my patients no ice or meds if possible, giving them mobility/compression/voodoo/hot-cold contrast baths flossing tips to help with the pain and improve blood flow to the area. These things work, but there was always still that desire for something to help with the pain. And I felt like the mean PT saying “I know it hurts and the ice/meds help but you really shouldn’t use them!!”
That’s when I started exploring essential oils for natural relief. I learned that quality oils are rare, with many fillers/toxins being placed in one’s that you can easily buy at grocery stores. Then I met some wonderful ladies who are now on my DoTerra team, who have been using the oils with the CrossFit/active population for exactly what I was looking for! DoTerra is therapeutic grade, meaning it’s tested 3 different times for it’s purity. I bought some oils, starting using them myself and on my patients and I can’t believe how well they work! And I feel great that I am not feeding my body or my patients’ bodies with toxins or something that will limit their healing.
I will usually try things on myself whether I have researched them or not, BUT usually anything I start to promote and use with my patients I want to make sure it is supported by research. There’s some decent research out there to support the use of therapeutic grade essential oils so I wanted to share what I have found so you can see that they’ve been tested…….although once you try them yourself it will be enough proof that they work:)
- Best overall review of many therapeutic grade oils supported by research that I’ve found so far: http://www.precisionnutrition.com/what-do-the-data-really-say-about-essential-oils
- OnGuard for the flu virus – http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2994788/
- Anti-inflammatory actions of Frankincense: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16423918
- Maintain healthy gut bacteria balance: http://www.altmedrev.com/publications/14/4/380.pdf
I am still researching oils and learning more about them. But they have definitely impacted my daily life and have dramatically changed the lives of my patients as well. The make-up of therapeutic grade essential oils allows them to easily cross the cell membrane to give direct benefits to the cell. My favorite blend right now to use with my patients, courtesy of my awesome DoTerra team out in Denver, includes oils that help with the following:
- connective tissue support
- soothing aches & pains
- relieve sores/tights muscles
- relieve joint issues
If you’re interested in something to help relieve soreness or pain, I can do one or all of the following:
- E-mail you the recipe firstname.lastname@example.org
- Let you try a pre made 10mL roller of the magic blend (if you live in Denver) that you can then buy if you like!
- Help you purchase the oils yourself at wholesale cost